Joined: Aug '08
Age: 54 (F)
Psychologists often refer to the 7 stages of grief that accompany any significant loss in an individual’s life. We certainly think AK qualifies as a traumatic event in the lives of poker players, and know the stages all too well:
1) Denial: “There’s no way I could’ve missed the flop. They were suited. I can call here, I probably still have the best hand. Shoot, I should raise to narrow the field”
2) Anger: “I raised preflop. The board is 239. What the f**k are they calling on? Oh, now they’re re-raising me? Well, we’ll f**king see about that. Fine, your 23o hit? Congrat-u-f**king-lations. Cap!”
3) Guilt: “Man, I missed the turn and they’re still betting into me. I am such a terrible player. I should really let go of this hand. Let go if it, dumbass. Let go. See, this is why you never make money at poker because you can’t lay a hand down you stupid f**k JUST FOLD.”
4) Depression: “Call”
5) Forgiveness: “It’s ok, you have to look that guy up every once in a while with A high. He might’ve been on AQ or AJ, and you would’ve had the best hand then. It’s good for your table image anyhow. People won’t mess with you now.
6) Acceptance: “Ok, next time I’ll just limp and see a flop.”
7) Recovery: “Hey, AKs, alright - RAISE!”
Not sure if this has been posted before but gave me a chuckle
Joined: Apr '09
Age: 34 (M)
Lol it is funny. I know that principles too. I am studying medicine and I heard about them a lot of times. To poker we can compare some of them lol. But not only to poker but to almost everything in life. Lol funny post! Good luck at tables!
Joined: Apr '08
Age: 38 (F)
AK is as good as any other hand when you play poker. U just have to know how to play them. All 7 points are funny but one of them is true. AK is raise hand, but you have to know when to fold a hand. It goes for every hand even AA.
Once I had Royal flush with suited Ace and King I had 11 Big blinds and I went all in preflop. One member called and when he showed i saw what he had. he had AKo. i was calm because i knew we will split, but the board was 10 J 5 Q 2 . It was my first royal fluh and I was very happy.
just came on the forum to bitch about losing a monster ak hand. 6handed 300 man tourney. 36 people left. 24 paid. im rank 3rd sitting at a table with 1st and 2nd. i get AKo UTG. raise 3bb, BB (rank 1 fish) calls. flop comes ak4. he bets pot and im all in. he calls and revals q10.. stupid lucky donk ((((((