Joined: May '08
Age: 52 (M)
Lately i hear a lot off players who bust their bankroll in just 1 day or a couple off days. Offcourse BRM is a ''beginners'' poker site, but busting in just 1 week isnt really possible if you just stick too some simple rules. When you ''bust'', itsnot only ''your'' money you bust but also your giving BRM a bad name. For example if many many people busting their free bankroll at mansion, mansion isnot giving any free bankrolls anymore too BRM in the future. So storys like ''I played CASH $1/$2 and was up $30 and now i busted'' arent very smart things to say at this forum and also not very nice too BRM and other people at this forum who dont get a bankroll in the future cos the room dont giv them too BRM anymore.
So i dont want to be a smart ass, just want to help with some basic rules how you can minimize your risk (If people want to add feel free).
Basicly there are a couple off rules for new players: (Holdem No Limit)
1) BankrollManagement: Do the min 30buyinns rule (even better 50!). Which means never buyinn in any CASH/SNG/MTT for more then 1/30 off your bankroll. So for example u have $50 free money, you can play $1 SNG/MTT or NL2 CASH (If this exist, mostly sites start with NL4)
2) Playstyle: For a beginner poker player its best to play TAG (Tight Agressiv). Which means you only play top-hands and if you get them play them agressivly which means RAISE or RERAISE preflop and DONT limp with it, if you raise you can be sure many people fold preflop and you be HeadsUp or maybe at a 3way pot. On flop also play agressiv but know when ur beat and dont be a calling-station!
3) Tables: In my opinion for a beginner its best to start with 10seat tables and not 6seaters. Playing 10seaters you can wait for good hands and blinds dont eat you as much as 6seaters.
4) Tophands? Tophands are top10/top20 hands so for sure AA, KK, QQ, AKs, AKo, JJ. Allways raise with these hands preflop, if a player before you did a raise you RERAISE! Also good hands are TT, 99 AQs, AQo, KQs, KQo. Depends on table and position what to do with these hands. Other starting hands you can play are suited connectors (JTs, T9s) and PocketPairs (88 and lower). Carefull with these hands you dont want to pay big money preflop just to see a flop!
Ok, these are just some basic rules to prevent you go bust in just 1 week. If other players wants to add please add
Remember your free bonus is your money (first you need to finish bonus points), so play with that money as its your money what you had deposit! I am sure every player plays much more carefull with money if they make a deposit off their own right?
Joined: May '08
Age: 52 (M)
Some adds for SNG:
- Try NOT to attack the big stack, but attack middle stacks. - When your gettin short wide up your hand range and use position to steal. - Allways try to be average stack or higher. - Becoming 1st is more important then just ITM. - Never use auto-buttons. - Mark players as TAG/LAG/CallingStation ect.
Joined: Jun '09
Age: 40 (M)
Thanks for the tips, and I agree with you Doom... the better off the players do from BRM the better the rep is for the site. And so far, Ive found nothing but friendly, helpful people from all around the world willing to help me, and my game out!! Thanks again to BRM and its members! haha so Ill let you know when my fifty tunrs into 1,000,000!!