The seemingly lackluster Super Bowl 2019 cost many people a few hours of their lives; however, for one Las Vegas sports bettor, it cost him almost $4 million.
A Rams fan who had been correctly predicting and winning millions from Las Vegas sportsbooks in the previous years has now gotten it wrong, costing him a total of $3.8 million in this year's Super Bowl when Tom Brady and the New England Patriots emerged triumphant in the game.
The unnamed punter, only known by his nickname ‘Bettor X', wagered on the Los Angeles Rams to beat the New England Patriots. He placed three massive bets spread out amongst different Las Vegas sportsbooks. All of the three wagers were on the money-line bet for his favorite team, the Los Angeles Rams, to win the game.
It all started on Thursday, when Bettor X wagered $2 million at the MGM. The next day, Friday, he placed another $1.5 million bet at William Hill, and a final bet of $300,000 was put for the Rams at South Point a few hours later. All these three bets were made at +120 odds.
However, things went awry when the Rams lost 13-3, and the high-stakes sports bettor lost a significant amount of money.
What's the motivation for Bettor X to bet this much money? Well, it turns out that last year, he placed huge bets against the Patriots and had a great run, winning about $6 million after he put $4 million on the Philadelphia Eagles to win the most important football gaming event of the year.
Because of that, Bettor X became an instant celebrity both in the gambling and sportsbetting world after he correctly predicted the first 6 games of the 2017 Baseball World Series. He undauntedly continued to let his winnings ride on every subsequent game and walked away $10 million richer.
Based on the American Gaming Association's survey results, an estimated $6 billion was expected to be wagered on the Super Bowl. The survey said that 52% would be betting on the Rams, while the remaining 48% would be betting on the Patriots.