In 2014, Argentinian poker pro Mario Javier Lopez topped a field of 609 players in the Latin American Poker Tour (LAPT) Chile Main Event for $117,991, and on Tuesday he claimed his second LAPT title by outlasting a field 267 players in the Uruguay Main Event!
Lopez defeated fellow countryman Hilario Quijada heads-up. On the final hand, both players were all in pre flop, Quijada with 66 and López with JJ. The flop came out 652 and Quijada exploded in celebration. The 4 on the turn made it possible for a chopped pot, but Quijada kept going. Quijada fell silent while Lopez screamed and jumped in the air when the J completed the board.
Quijada took home $103,580 for his runner-up finish while Lopez received his second LAPT trophy and $155,730. Lopez has been running extremely well this year. The fact is that over $1.1 million of his $1.6 lifetime earnings has been won this year alone. He is the fourth player in history to win two LAPT titles.
"I've been very concentrated and I've been running well and playing well," Lopez said. "I'm on a good streak and I hope it doesn't end. I just want to keep playing poker and have fun at big tournaments."
LAPT8 Uruguay Main Event final table results
Prize pool: $776,970
Places paid: 39
1. Mario Lopez (Argentina) -- $155,730
2. Hilario Quijada (Argentina) -- $103,580
3. German Christiansen (Argentina) -- $75,760
4. Chadi Moustapha (Lebanon) -- $61,140
5. Ariel Eghi (Argentina) -- $47,940
6. Patricio Rojas (Chile) -- $36,280
7. Jorge Alberto Cantos (Argentina) -- $26,660
8. Ruben Barros (Argentina) -- $19,580