BankrollMob Forum

BankrollMob Forum » News » Poker: a skill game?


oct
8

Poker: a skill game?

Tags: ben van der genugten, dutch proferssor, poker skill
Posted on 08 October 2008 by "T".
After a court decision back in 1998 the exclusive rights to offer poker within the country to Holland casino has been granted because it has been seen as a game of luck. The Dutch professor Ben Van der Genugten from University of Tilburg has criticized this decision for long and decided to investigate whether poker is a game of luck or not. To his help he had Peter Borm, a professor of mathematic[...]   Read more » Poker: a skill game?

Page 1 of 3Go to page:   1, 2, 3  Next »

Poker: a skill game?  0   
it absolutely isa skill game .ive always known that good work on figerin that out.clap

     
   0   
definitely, obviously luck plays a big part as well , but you need to make those tough decisions when there needed cause queens can overthrow kings!

     
   0   
definitely true, I hope it will be legal again so we can have tournaments everywhere and not just in Holland Casino Blink

     
   0   
80% skill 20% luck Blink

     
   0   
Depends on the table. If you are playing with guys that take it serious it is a skill game. If nine other players are just there to gamble it becomes more of a game of luck. Espacially in the short run.

     
   0   
If you are the beginner ut's 99% luck +1% skill, but while the time goes and you start playing well it's 99% skill +1% luck))

     
   0   
short term = higher luck. Turbo and ultra turbo = higher luck. When your on the short stack = higher luck. OVER A LIFETIME POKER = 99% SKILL (MINUS 10% HOUSE FEE Tongue)

     
   0   
Poker is mainly a game of skill but in tournament poker luck is also a big factor because the person who'll win the tournament will sruvive the most coin flips. Cash games are more of a skill game.

     
   0   
"80% skill 20% luck"


Pretty much sums it up.

     
   0   
I agree that in tpournaments luck is a very important factor, you need to be skilled to get the top places, but to win you need a good amount of luck also.

     
   0   
How says one famous man:
Poker - game of skill with elements of luck.

     
   0   
Poker is definetly skill.. u can reduce the chance of being beaten by your skill.. ;D

     
   0   
wtf is wrong with u mate askin if pokers a skill game lol... thats the dumbest question ive seeen in a while as u can see from all the reply's
poker = skill with elements of luck hands downnnn Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile

     
   0   
If you are the best player of poker but you havent lucky...
You cant win!
If you are the luckest player of the world and you are a normal player..
You win.
For me the lucky is a part essencial of all games.

     
   0   
I think its an game of luck. Sorry
Off course it have some skill to but in the long run you have to have luck to be successfull. You can choose wich hands to play. But when you only get 2 out of 7 cards then its based on luck. No practice in the world can change that


     
   0   
of course, in long run its skill and concentration game with mathematics, psichology and self-control game.

     
   0   
if you play only one or 2 times it probably will be luck higher....
if you play more and more and more, you probably will see that is a skill game, where the best players win more times...
how could phil ivey win lots and lots off times iff it was a lucky game? there are millions off players....

     
   0   
yeah skill is a big part in poker,but 75% at the most,which makes it a game of skill,the other 25% is luck.fun game tho.

     
   0   
Well luck is part of any thing u do. When u just start playing a sport like basketball ur mostly lucky then skillful same with computer games and other stuff. Poker is kind of the same, when u start it is more luck then skill but as u develope ur game its more skill then luck. The way u play ur hand preflop, after flop, after turn and after river is all diffrent. Also the way u play ur hand in diffrent positions is diffrent also. Play it the right way and u win more then u lose. Play it the wrong way and u might win some but at the end u will lose it all.

     
   0   
when it comes down to fliping over a card to see who wins there is always a % of luck involved but for the most part poker is a game of skill...when you can put yourself in a position to win 80% of the time and only lose when a donk hits a 2 outter then it is a game of skill

     
Page 1 of 3Go to page:   1, 2, 3  Next »

BankrollMob Forum » News » Poker: a skill game?

 
Forum Rules | Support & FAQ

Disclosure: BankrollMob may earn a commission based on the advertisement material on this site.

© 2020 BankrollMob.com - All Rights Reserved CONTACT | ABOUT | PRIVACY & COOKIE POLICY | TERMS & CONDITIONS | NEWSLETTERS | AFFILIATES | REPORT SPAM | ADVERTISING